Resolutions by Cities to Halt 5G
In Italy the Italian Stop 5G Alliance has worked hard to raise awareness about 5G and call for a halt to experimentation. The Alliance has held a press conference in parliament at the Senate of the Italian Republic, participated in the national workshop ‘Electrosmog, electrosensitivity, 5G’ with the Italian Electrosensitive Association and several scientific experts.
- Videos: 2020 Presentation by Roberto Romeo on his victorious legal case after developing a tumor from cell phone use, Italian scientists.
- Scanzano Italy, Mayor of Scanzano (region Basilicata, where EHS people are exempt from medical co-payments) announces he is prohibiting 5G rollout on the basis of health concerns, quoting the precautionary principle and the need to protect electrosensitives. TV footage , News: 5G hazardous to health: Scanzano Jonico forbids it 8/3/2019, The municipality of Scanzano Jonico has banned 5G trials to prevent health risks
- Florence, Italy “It causes damage to the body!” Florence brakes on 5G and applies the Precautionary Principle. Motion in defense of health approved (almost) unanimous, EXCLUSIVE NEWS OASI SANA, 05/04/2019
- Florence, Italy Florence will use the precautionary principle for the rollout of 5G, Lennart Hardell’s Blog, 08/04/2019
- XII Municipality of Rome, Italy A Municipality of Rome votes against 5G: what will the Giunta do?Terra Nuova, 28/03/2019
- Municipality of Rocca di Papa, Italy 5G moratorium approved in Rocca di Papa (Rome), the city council deliberates on the precaution: “We do not authorize technologies that can aggravate the unhealthiness” EXCLUSIVE NEWS OASI SANA, 24/04/2019
- Montecitori Palace, Rome, Italy Stop 5G: a parliamentary motion commits the Government to the moratorium, Ortica Web, 20/05/2019
- For a full list of municipalities see Stop 5G Italia.
2019: 4th Brain Tumor Case in Italy where a worker is compensated for tumors linked to cell phone radiation. In January 2019, a Court in Monza recognized an occupational disease in a former airport employee, who developed acoustic neuroma and was left permanently incapacitated.
- Read “Italian Workers’ Compensation Authority (INAIL) Ordered to Pay Out to 4th Mobile Phone User with Cancer” “Throughout his 10-year employment period, he alleged more than 4 hours (sessions of up to 45 minutes consecutively) of daily use of a Siemens DECT phone, a Nokia and later a Samsung mobile. The CTU, a collaboration of experts and technical advisers assigned to evaluate the case, concluded that the development of the claimant’s left auditory nerve neuroma was related to his work, harking back to the Hardell study.”
2019: Florence approves precautionary stance on 5G.
- “It is written that as the highest local health authority, Mayor Dario Nardella is officially committed “to elaborate an overall plan, in agreement with the competent authorities, for the installations of the 5G technology before issuing individual authorizations in view of the application of the Precautionary Principle and public health”, “carefully evaluating any authorization for 5G installations in the territory of the municipality of Florence”. Dr. Lennart Hardells blog April 8, 2019
- “It causes damage to the body!” Florence brakes on 5G and applies the Precautionary Principle. The motion to defend health was approved with (almost) unanimous vote – April 5, 2019
2019: XII Municipality of Rome votes against 5G.
“With 11 votes in favor and 3 abstentions, the XII Municipality of Roma Capitale has deliberated against the experimentation. A large slice of the city of Rome therefore wants to avoid fifth generation wireless, creating a ‘5G free’ hole in the Portuense, Gianicolense and Monteverde areas up to Maccarese and Castel di Guido: “We ask the mayor to stop the 5G trial and not to raise the limit values in the threshold of electromagnetic radiation avoiding the positioning of groups of mini-millimeter microwave antennas on homes, schools, day centers, recreation centers, street lamps and more “, is written in the approved text.”
- This action was followed by a National Stop 5G conference n Milan, promoted by the Italian Electrosensitive Association with speakers including Dr. Fiorella Belpoggi of the Ramazzini Institute, Dr. Olle Johansson, neuroscientist at the prestigious Karolinska Institute in Stockholm and Stefano Bertone, one of the lawyers who represented the plaintiff involved in the landmark cell phone case that recognized a causal role between cell phone use and tumor development.
- News articles:
2019: Court orders school in Florence -the Botticelli Comprehensive Institute- to turn off the Wi-Fi to protect health of child. In March 2019 a Court hearing will determine if the Wi-Fi should remain off in the school.
Accordingto IlFattoQuotidianon News “In Florence, the court will turn off the Wifi at school. An extraordinarily innovative act” January 28, 2019
- “There is an unheard-of altera parte – reads the order notified to the school manager – that the Botticelli Comprehensive Institute removes immediately the WiFi systems in the institute “.
- “Internet service can be guaranteed by the institute also through systems that do not produce electrosmog, without the use of wireless Wi-Fi”, clearly pointing to the vision of the Decree 11 January 2017 issued by former Minister for the Environment Gian Luca Galletti who, on the subject of indoor pollution for the offices of the public administration, ordered the replacement of Wi-Fi with the safest wiring, ie the cable connection already provided several virtuous schools of Italy (2013 motion of the Regional Council of Piedmont, 2015 motion of the Autonomous Province of Bolzano, while the City of Brescia has then wired those in its municipality as well as, among the controversy of those who diverted the heart of the problem, in a prudential manner the mayor of Borgo Franco d’Ivrea made his classrooms electrosmog free).
2019: Italian Court Orders Italian Government to Launch Awareness Campaign on Cell Phone Radiation
An Italian court has ordered the government to launch a campaign to advise the public of the health risks from mobile and cordless phones to begin by July 16. A citizens group called APPLE (Association for the Prevention of and Fight Against Electrosmog) sued to force the government to act.
- The Regional Administrative Court for Lazio decision that Italian government must inform the public of the health risks of mobile phones
- “The Lazio Regional Administrative Court, welcoming the appeal of the Association for the prevention and fight against electrosmog, asks the Ministries of Environment, Health and Education, University and Research to arrange to adopt an information campaign on correct use of mobile phones. The three ministries welcome the judicial decision, convinced of the need to raise awareness on the issue and to promote prevention measures.The ministries are already at work for the establishment of a joint table that will have the purpose of following up what has been decided by the administrative judges.”
News coverage on the court decision
- Local news coverage from La Repubblica
- Corriere della Sera news coverage
- AP Daily Journal Court orders Italian govt to publicize cellphone risks
- APPLE’s press release
2018: The City Council of Bologna unanimously approved an initiative to inform the public about the health risks of cell phone and wireless radiation in light of the NTP and Ramazzini Institute studies. According to news reports the action calls for the Council to:
- Inform the public about the health risks of cell phone and wireless radiation
- Invite mayor Virginio Merola and the junta “to take action, including with the Emilia-Romagna Region, with the Ausl and the competent institutions, through appropriate communication channels, to launch a public information campaign, so that the population citizen is aware of the risks involved in using mobile phones inappropriately. “
- Proposes to the mayor “to request a commitment in this sense also to telephone companies”.
Read June 26, 2018 News Report bologna.repubblica.it “The telephone companies inform about the risks of the mobile phone”: the appeal from Bologna”
2017: Decree of the Environment Minister has recommendations on reducing EMF.
Section 126.96.36.199 of the Decree recommends reducing exposure to indoor electromagnetic pollution
- Reduce low frequency magnetic fields: “In order to reduce as far as possible the indoor exposure to low frequency magnetic fields (ELFs) induced by electrical panels, uprights, conductor dorsals, etc.” the design of the plants must provide that meters and electric panels are outside the building and take measures to reduce levels.
- Reduce Radio frequency radiation: Reduce as much as possible the indoor exposure to high-frequency magnetic fields (RF) equip with alternative data transfer systems to wi-fi, eg. cable connection or Powerline communication (PLC) technology.
- This was started by a Communication by ECC (COM(2003) 302), to European Parliament about: Integrated Product Policy: Develop the concept of “environmental lifecycle.
- Read the 2017 Decree of the Environment Minister page 20-21.
2016: Mayor of Borgofranco d’Ivrea ordered Wi-Fi to be turned off in schools. “Mayor Livio Tola told the town’s high school and elementary school to return to using cables to connect to the internet after reading that the electromagnetic waves given off by wireless routers were especially harmful to young children.”
- The Local News Article: “Italian town shuts down wifi over health fears.”
- Torino News Article: “Ivrea, The Mayor Removes WiFi as it Could Be Dangerous”.
2017: The Italian Court of Ivrea ruling recognizes causal link between cellphone use and brain tumor.
- Italian court is the first in the world to recognize this causal link in an April 11, 2017 ruling which awarded a Telecom employee, Roberto Romeo, lifetime damages of 500 euros a month after he developed a brain tumor from fifteen years of cellphone use.
- Original Ruling
- Press Release EHT
- Cell phones and cancer, court adviser: “Scientific studies Authors work for telephone companies: conflict of interest” by Andrea Tundo (In Italian and can be translated.)
- Documents in Italian: The Court’s expert report, the defendant’s critics and final reply from the experts: Consulenza Ivrea Tribunale di Ivrea, Sezione Lavoro: Osservazioni CTU Romeo INAIL: Risposta CTU: Tribunale Ordinario di Ivrea:
- The Guardian News Article: “Italian court rules mobile phone use caused brain tumour”
- NY Daily News Article: “Italian Court Finds Link Between Cell Phone Use and Tumor”
- Courthouse News Service Article: “Italian Court Finds Link Between Cell Phone Use and Tumor”
2015: State Parliament of South Tyrol voted to reconfirm the precautionary principle: The State Government was mandated:
- To replace existing wireless networks whenever possible with networks that emit less radiation at schools, preschools, hospitals, nursing homes, and other public facilities.
- Establish a working group whose mandate it is to assess these new technologies and their exposure levels. With regard to wireless communication technologies, mobile Internet access, and public health, the working group shall clarify which technologies emit less radiation and provide sustainable technology options and
- To start an education and awareness campaign that informs about possible health risks, especially regarding the unborn, infants, children, and adolescents and that develops guidelines for a safer use of cell phones, smartphones, and Wi-Fi.
- Previous Hearing at the Parliament of South Tyrol, 29 April 2015 – “hearing on the effects of mobile radio”
- Discussion at the Plenary Session: “Mobile Communications, Refugees”
- Kompetenzinitiative News Article: “Parliament of South Tyrol Reconfirms Precautionary Principle”
- Official Resolution – “WLAN, mobile radio, radiation exposure: does the precautionary principle apply”
2012 Italian Supreme Court Ruling: Man’s brain tumor was caused by his cell phone use.
- The National Institute for Workmen’s Compensation must compensate a worker with head tumor due to cell use.
- Reuters News Article – “Italy court ruling links mobile phone use to tumor”
- RT News Article – “Cancer cells: Italian court rules ‘mobile phones can cause brain tumors’”
- Daily Mail News Article – Mobile phones CAN cause brain tumours, court rules in landmark case.Lecce, Italy, “Istituto Comprensivo Alighieri- Diaz” School banned wifi: Their two resolutions decided:
- To ban wifi in school and install a wired system for the use of internet and reject the request of the local government (Municipality) to install an antenna on the school roof for the wireless signal providing for the “Wireless city” program.
- The resolution also asks the Municipality to install the antenna at a reasonable distance from school.
The Piemonte Region Council adopted a resolution to limit EMF exposure by limiting the use of wifi in schools and be considerate to the problem of EHS people.
- Original Resolution – “Adoption of the Precautionary Principle exposition Installations in Wireless Environments in School”
The Italian Society for Preventive and Social Pediatrics has officially called to prohibit cell phones for children under 10 years old.
- Giuseppe Di Mauro, president of the Italian Society of social and preventive pediatrics [Società italiana di pediatria preventiva e sociale (www.sipps.it)] “We do not know all the consequences associated with cell phone use, but excessive use could can lead to concentration and memory loss, increase in aggressiveness and sleep disturbances.” and he cites electromagnetic fields stating“The damage to health are increasingly evident”
- Il Tirreno Tuscany News Article – “Pediatricians: Phone Alarm for Kids”
2016 – Turin Mayor Chiara Appendino laid out plans “to cut back on Wi-Fi in state schools and government buildings over concerns that radiation might damage people’s health”.
- The Local News Report “Turin could slash Wi-Fi over ‘radiation’ concerns”