2014 – Director General of Tanzania Atomic Energy Commission (TAEC), Mr Idy Mkilaha publicly endorses precaution.
- “Mr Mkilaha says that when weighing up this convenient tool with the questionable health impact control, caution and measures must be taken to reduce one’s exposure from radio frequency (RF) emissions from the cell phone to prevent health hazards.”
- “According to TAEC, we should use hands-free devices or wireless headset to increase the distance between the phone and our heads. This is the best approach because it creates distance between us and the radiating phone… We should also keep phone away from us when dialling. Phones use more radiation during connection time, says TAEC.”
- AllAfrica News Article: “Tanzania: We Should Manage Our Cell Phones Properly Otherwise…”
- AllAfrica News Article: Tanzania: Need to Protect Oneself When Using Cell Phone
Tanzania Commission for Science and Technology Newsletter Details how to reduce cell phone exposure
- Original Newsletter (pg. 11)
- After complaints were raised by residents about health effects the Commission co-authored a published paper that reviews national RF level profiles of the radiation emitted from base stations.
- Review on Measured and Calculated Radio Frequency Radiation Emission From The Base Stations
- The paper states: “In 2016, Director General of Tanzania Atomic Energy Commission (TAEC), Mr Idy Mkilaha died under investigated circumstances and at this time EHT is unable to find the Reports or official warnings as mentioned in the news reports on the current Atomic Commission webpage.”